Sunday, November 5, 2023

Casting Call

Casting Roadblock & Resolution

Choosing individuals to act in our film was a bit more complex than anticipated. It was not only a matter of choosing people, but also having to instruct them on what the film would entail, what to bring, and what we needed from them. At times throughout this selection process, friends we wanted to use were unavailable, so I decided to take on one of the main character's roles to resolve the casting issue and speed up our production. I figured I would know exactly how to convey the story since my group and I came up with it ourselves. As director, acting in it would allow me to be more included in filming, rather than standing and observing. However, the value of observing as a director is significant — to be looking over all areas of filming to ensure the story is being told the way we intended. To balance both aspects, I discussed with my group having me step away and take over as an onlooker when my character was not being filmed. 


Further Considerations

Having no prior acting experience, I suggested to my group that we use a friend of mine as the 'opponent' I will be going against in the film so that it would be more comfortable for us as the main actors to work together. This is unrealistic to the natural film setting, but as our first short film having connections with one another would allow for more genuine emotions to reflect into the film. Watching the romance comedy film, 50 First Dates, 2004, Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore have an amazing friendship off-screen that radiates in their acting on screen. Following that same casting consideration, we decided to cast a close friend of mine and the rest of my film crew as extras.


Still from 50 First Dates, 2004, showing the chemistry between actor Adam Sandler and actress Drew Barrymore.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Cut

The final cut of our film Intertwined! Change quality to 2160p 4k for best viewing purposes. Acknowledged music source: Lvl by Asap Rocky.