Sunday, November 5, 2023

Production Hiccups

Miscommunication & Its Impact

When finalizing our pre-production portfolio and preparing for our first day of shooting, we had some communication issues. My cinematographer had a setback in delivering her shot list, which is significant in the film's production as it is a guideline for how the film will be told. This caused us to rush the list last minute in a way that I was unhappy with as director, but showed me how I must stay in closer contact with each person developing the film with me. It is easy to assume everyone is on track with doing their job. However, it makes production a whole lot smoother in the long run when I am diligently checking in on aspects of the production to see it as a whole — not just from my perspective. Going into filming days, I have this clarity established and the shot list therefore has to be modified.

Although the main object in the film is a chess board, my film crew and I ironically forgot to have a discussion on who is bringing in what is considered the main topic of the film itself. We were so caught up in finalizing our production portfolio, that we exerted little energy into the physical preparation of the film such as prop responsibilities, notifying our cast, and overall, asking more questions to one another! When this disorganization unraveled, I had to break the silence as to what the plan would be going into filming days.

Screenshots of me texting my group clarifying the Mis en Scene aspects of the characters (what each person should wear and keep in mind) as well as confirming prop availability.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Cut

The final cut of our film Intertwined! Change quality to 2160p 4k for best viewing purposes. Acknowledged music source: Lvl by Asap Rocky.