Thursday, February 15, 2024

Sound Design Training

Telling a Story Through Audio

While working on our production portfolio, my film partner and I worked on the AV script template together so that our ideas for the film would be brainstormed together. As we were writing, she had the idea of muffling the sound of the first scene to transition to the next scene's audio to give a sense of dissociation emitted from the character. I loved this idea and researched how I could manipulate sound this way on Adobe Premiere Rush to prepare myself for the editing I will do in post-production.

A video I watched to learn the broadness of sound design in filmmaking and how its techniques can be done using Adobe Premiere Rush, the editing software I will be using.

I found it interesting that the application itself has sound effects copyright free for my choosing. This may be needed later on in post-production. In B-roll's scene 2, we envisioned a shot of the girl's heels clacking on the floor as she walks out of the room. To have this sound be emphasized and all that is heard in a quiet room, I could add in effects as they did in the video so that the sound quality is more 'professionally sound.' Adding in sound effects can act as transitions on their own when done correctly – as seen in timestamp 2:51 from the video. The water droplet sound effect pulls in the droplet falling into the other one, even though they are entirely different. The sound makes them coincide with one another.


A stock video from Adobe Premiere Rush that I edited to muffle the sound at the beginning and become clear when she finishes her sentence. 

Going back to the idea my film partner had, I changed the intensity of the background noise and induced echos here and then split the clip to change the audio settings for the end of it (take off the applied effect) to have the audio return to its original clarity, This is what I would do similarly in post-production, except the audio would be muffled more intensely – fading in and out as though the girl is thinking of the memory in a dream and is being pulled out of it by another voice not seen in the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Cut

The final cut of our film Intertwined! Change quality to 2160p 4k for best viewing purposes. Acknowledged music source: Lvl by Asap Rocky.