Monday, March 4, 2024

And So the Editing Process Begins

Transferring Film

After each production day, I transferred the film from both the Nikon Coolpix s3700 and Canon Rebel by taking out the SD cards, inserting it into an SD card reader, and connecting it to the device intended to receive the files: my laptop. Due to the Nikon Coolpix being an older model, its files end in an AVI format, which is not supported by most modern devices. The sound was jagged, cutting out randomly when played on my MacBook and even my phone, but was clear and coherent on the camera preview screen.

A screenshot of a google search I made to confirm it was the file format that was the issue, which led me to a solution. 

My editing is taking place on my MacBook, since my main editing software(s) are installed on there and has large storage capabilities. Therefore, the film formatting issue needed to be converted on the laptop to affirm that the audio issues from scene 1 were salvable. Using cloudconvert.com, I was able to upload the AVI videos from the Nikon to be converted to MOV, the dominant format that Quicktime player on Mac supports. Here I learned the different format titles and how each device relies on different systems as technology evolves, making it my responsibility as editor to research format compatibilities and ensure that all throughout transferring and converting, the sound and visual qualities remain the same.

The settings of Cloud Convert, the file converting website I used, where I manipulated how the files were converted; whether it be to change the resolution, aspect ratio, tune, and many more options. My personal settings were minimal for scene 1's transfer in order to keep the takes exactly the same as they were taken on the camera, as I could later change audio quality in the editing process at a later time.

Furthermore, moving film from the Canon Rebel camera to my Macbook was easier because of its compatibility with a MOV format. I utilized the Airdrop Apple feature to efficiently transfer all the takes and there was zero changes in quality!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Cut

The final cut of our film Intertwined! Change quality to 2160p 4k for best viewing purposes. Acknowledged music source: Lvl by Asap Rocky.